Friday, May 28, 2010

Reunion Weekend

This weekend is my 25th college reunion, a fact which should make me feel really old. But it doesn't. I've already dealt with a child going off to college, with my students being as old as my son, and a few years ago a student figured out that his dad and I graduated high school together. So this milestone comes as no shock. Since I have so far this weekend only attended my husband's reunion (I'm heading to mine this afternoon) I will only make a few short observations:

This is Princeton, and in case you needed to be reminded, you need only look at the breakfast table next to yours to see grown men who usually wouldn't leave the house in anything but a white shirt and a blue blazer, wearing orange and black jackets with tiger heads swimming in patterns that will make the most avid trick or treater's head spin. If you can walk, and that means even with two people assisting you, you show up here for your 60th and even 70th reunion.The parties are open to all classes, therefore you will be waiting in a long, long line for beer along with the current crop of Princeton seniors. Oh, and don't try to make a left turn on Route 1 in South Brunswick, New Jersey, because a cop who definitely did not attend Princeton will not be particularly sympathetic of the fact that you don't know your way around here and have never heard of a "jug handle."

I am off to my alma mater this afternoon, along with my best friend from college who happens to have also married a Princetonian, so I will definitely be more sentimental on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. So, what happened when you went to YOUR alma mater? Cliffhanger! Which reunion was better?

    ReplyDelete